Are you struggling with organic traffic?
Well, aren’t all bloggers fantasizing to rank higher on Google! However, Google has changed a lot and it no longer ranks pages just because it has keywords in it..
For bloggers ranking higher on Google means getting more traffic. And this traffic is highly valuable because these visitors have a higher chance of converting into leads.
In fact 14.6% of users from organic search convert which is 8.5X times higher than traffic through other referrals.
With so many SEO tips and tricks it has become very difficult to follow and which ones to ignore.
So here is a list of the top 15 SEO tips for blogs that work in 2019. These SEO tips will definitely help you increase your organic traffic and will help you improve your search ranking.
These top SEO tips for blogs are also Google-friendly, which means Google won’t penalize you, for implementing these tips.
So let’s get started with learning SEO tips for bloggers that actually work in 2019.
Get Featured In Rich Snippets
Google introduced the rich snippets in 2009 to help users get immediate answers to the queries they searched for in Google.
Rich snippets is the new “zero” position on SERP. Here is an example of how rich snippets appear on search pages.
To take advantage of rich snippets, I strongly recommend using a plugin called Schema Pro.
Schema PRO is a WordPress plugin that allows bloggers to create rich snippets without editing any code lines.
Schema PRO – FEATURES
Optimize SEO title for SEO
Post titles are very important. To make sure our post titles are SEO optimized using the following tips.
- Use <H1> tag for post titles
- Make sure the primary keyword is used in the title
- Character count for post titles should not exceed 65
- A word count of 6 is ideal for Google search results
These are some of the top tips for writing SEO optimized post titles. If you want to learn in-depth about blog post titles, you can read my 1500+ words post:
Ideal Post Length
It is a proven fact a lengthier post has a higher chance of ranking on Google. All the top-ranking pages on Google have an average 1,890 words.
More the words, more detailed the post will be. The user will get all his answers in one single page. Exactly what Google wants.
But don’t just stuff keywords just for the sake of it. Make sure the added words actually add value to the content.
Google bots crawl a website by following links and then understands the information that is present on that page. It usually starts with the homepage and then crawls links associated to it.
Besides, understanding the relationship between the content, it also passes link juice to the internal links. Often homepages have the highest number of backlinks. So when you show your latest blog post on the homepage, you are indirectly leading Google bots to your new blog post. This helps in sharing the link value.
Once you completely understand the importance of sharing link value, you will start interlinking blog posts more often.
Adding more link value to a blog post will help you rank your blog posts higher on SERP.
Using Outbound Links
Whenever you come across a webpage or a blog that adds value to a blog post you have written, don’t be afraid to link to that webpage.
Besides adding more value to the blog post, it also tells Google that you are linking to resources that will help the user.
John Mueller recently made a video on if linking out to other websites helps SEO. You can check out the video here,
As stated linking out to other websites or using outbound links is actually good for SEO.
But also remember, it is essential to link out to the related websites. If you are caught selling or buying links, Google will heavily penalize your website.
Use Meta Description
Meta Descriptions provide a summary of the web page that is displayed in the Google search results.
In 2009 Google has firmly stated that meta tags have no effect on the websites ability to rank.
But what it does is, it affects the CTR (Click Through Rate) which is a very important factor for increasing a websites rank. This makes meta descriptions very important.
Tips For Writing Better Meta-Descriptions:
- Character Limit: Google shows upto 150-160 characters in the search results. The rest of the characters are dotted and are not shown. So make sure you do not exceed the specified character count.
- Custom Meta Descriptions: When you do not specify any meta description, by default Google picks up the first 150 -160 characters from your article. This initial article may or may not summarize your article. So to avoid this use plugins like RankMath to write a custom meta description.
- Use Keywords: Use keywords in your meta descriptions, not because of keyword optimization. These keywords are highlighted and shown to the user. This affects the CTR and helps you rank better.
- Use Active Voice: Talk directly to the user by using an active voice. This makes it more appealing
- Use Action Words: Action words like “find out more” or “click to know more” helps in increasing the curiosity levels of the user and ultimately makes him click on your search listing.
According to a few statistics I collected from Quora, google images has a distribution of 10.1% of all traffic from Google. Google.com has 55% traffic while mail.google.com gets 24.7% traffic from google.
From this, you can clearly see that traffic from google images is huge. So it’s important we optimize our images for better visibility on Google images.
- Name your images according to the content you are writing, for example, if you are writing about healthy foods, apple_healthyfruit.jpg
- Use alt text, its like metadata for your images, make it helpful for the users.
- Compress your images so your website speed doesn’t downgrade.
Use Long-Tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords are highly targeted keywords in a niche. The benefit of using this is that these long-tail keywords are less competitive and you can rank your posts on Google.
Long-tail keywords are very useful for increasing your organic traffic. Because it reduces the competition and helps you target your audience for the content you are writing.
If your content reaches the right people, the conversion rates will be much higher. Hence targeting long-tail keywords is beneficial for bloggers.
To search for long-tail keywords, I recommend you use a tool called SemRush.
Use SEO Friendly URL
Making your post URL’s SEO friendly is a great way of ranking high on Google. If you get it right you can increase your search engine visibility.
I strongly suggest you use permalinks i.e the post has permanent links even if the content is updated. So that the link to your content remains valid through out the internet.
You can set your permalinks in WordPress by navigating to: Settings > Permalink
5 Tips for writing a SEO rich URL:
- Use keywords in your URL
- Avoid using dynamic links in WordPress
- Use shorter URL
- Avoid dates in your URL
- Use HTTPS (get a SSL certificate)
Prepare For Search Intent
Google is no more only about keywords. It has now added AI learning to its algorithms.
One such ranking factor is Search Intent.
Search Intent also known as User Intent was introduced to understand what the user wanted when they searched for those specific keywords. This helps Google provide better search results to the user.
But for you as a blogger Search Intent is important because if you cater to the intent the user is looking for and provide the associated information, it improves metrics like CTR (Click Through Rate) and Dwell Time. Improving these metrics means ranking high on Google.
The SEO intent for your keyword will fall under these four categories,
Four Types Of Search Intent:
So whenever you do keyword research always decide which user intent are you going to target. This will help you rank better in Google.
Importance Of Sitemaps
If Google was a country XML sitemap would be its language. When you submit your sitemap, it makes it easier for Google bots to crawl your website and index all the pages.
Even if your blog posts are not intern liked fully, submitting your XML map will make sure all your pages are being indexed by the Google crawl bots.
You can generate and submit your sitemaps easily using SEO plugins like RankMath and Yoast SEO.
SEO plugins will create a link where your sitemap will be accessible through a link.
For example my sitemap is updated at: https://bloggingwand.com/sitemap_index.xml‘
Submit you sitemap in Google Search Console. There is a dedicated option in the sidebar – “Sitemaps” under the Index section.
Your sitemap will be auto generated and will be updated in the Google search console regularly.
The more the content you have, the more ways you can promote your blog. Also, Google then has more chances of crawling your website and showing it on search result pages.
So make sure you publish your posts consistently.
But in the race of publishing more posts, do not compromise on the quality of content you write. Because Google isn’t only looking for keywords, it is looking for hundreds of other factors that will increase organic traffic.
Although many SEO analysts might argue but backlinks are still an very important factor of ranking a website high on SERP.
Here is a graph that shows how important backlinks are for SEO optimization.
Building back links in 2019 is not easy, It is a prized commodity and bloggers give out backlinks miserly.
But still, you can get quality backlinks in the following ways:
- Guest Post on high DA sites
- Blog commenting
- Blogger Outreach
- Skyscraper technique – create better content and steal backlinks from your competitor
- Hire a graphic designer for infographics
- Use youtube to post quality content
Analyze Social Signals
Social signals are the likes, views, pins and other social shares that your blog post gets on social media. Social signals have become an important part of SEO because it brings you repeat visitors and Google then considers your blog as brandable and ranks you higher on SERP.
Benefits Of Social Signals
- Social signs can bring you repeat visitors, which is always a good sign
- A viral blog post can also help in increasing the blog’s overall search engine ranking
- Increases the blog’s DA (domain authority)
- High number of shares indicates that the blog post is genuine and is really filled with quality content.
Improving Social Signals
As you can clearly see social signals is a very vital factor in ranking high on SERP.
So here are a few tips and tricks to help you improve your social signals:
- Post daily on your social media accounts, this keeps your audience engaged.
images / videos: Images and videos have a higher tendency to make people share your blog post.
- Survey your audience: You can post polls and understand what your users really want you to post
- Monitor: Analyze your social media accounts and blog posts and understand what your audience likes and dislikes. Then create content accordingly
- Outreach: Reach out to bigger bloggers and brands to give more exposure to your blogs.
Make sure you do implement all the 14 actionable tips on your blog. These tips will help you improve your organic traffic and help you take your blog to the next level.
To get more such tips and tricks to rank higher on Google make sure you join our Bloggingwand V.I.P group on facebook.
Happy Blogging 🙂